The Legion of Mary at Benedictine College has had an interesting history of fits and starts. Taking our information from old yearbooks, a group was formed around 1959 at St. Benedict’s College, the forerunner of Benedictine College. By 1962 the group had formed into three praesidia- Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of Victory, and Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, having 32 members total between the three praesidia. Each Praesidium had a monk as a spiritual director. There is a gap in records, so we can’t be sure when exactly the group ceased but it was sometime between 1965-1967. At any rate, there is no mention of the Legion as a group in 1968. It’s hard to say exactly what all their works entailed, but one is very clear (perhaps due to the fact that it looked best in a yearbook)- prison ministry at the Atchison County Jail.
A Second Try
There is also cause to believe the Legion was restarted sometime in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s due to Legion literature found in the monastery in connection with a certain monk who left at about that time, but no other information has been found from that period.
Click below to continue this history into our more modern period.